Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mission: failure, Journey: fun

Well first of all, I decided not to race the Rundle's Revenge. Why?
-$120/150 entry fee
- shitty course: Killer Bees and Ziggy's got ruined by the Canmore Nordic Centre last year (there isn't a single person I had talked to who likes the "improvements"), and the course went down the Georgetown climb instead of going down something awesome like the Coal Chutes, Ass Whooper, or No Homers.
-Still muddy? I rode somewhere else in the valley and the trails were DRY!

What else would you expect when the Trans Rockies organizers put on a race. I don't really feel like paying their ridiculous entry fees to ride down fireroads. I will continue to chirp their course selection until they give me a free entry to prove me wrong! In the meantime I will race the ABA/CCA races and if I need my endurance fix, there are plenty of other races on better courses for like half the price.

So anyways, the goal was to ride some awesome'er trails this weekend instead. Bill and I had our sights set on this one newer trail with tales of rock slab descents. However, we didn't have a car to access the trailhead. No problem, Bill knows of a set of trails to get us there. So we just had the best ride over there (ironically, the course followed part of the final stage of last year's Trans Rockies, apparently the funnest stage. I'm guessing the least funnest one was where they had to bushwack up through a forest of alders to get to the pass. I laugh every time I see Steve and Mike B's number plates at Hardcore bikes as they are all scratched from that stage...), but we couldn't find the damn trail we were looking for! Oh well, plug was pulled and we rolled back on the highway, Bill was running on fumes. Solid ride, even if we didn't find what we were looking for. The ride out there is worth it's own trip, out and back next time!

Just an update on the Marin Attack Trail. I still think the bike can charge some XC singletrack, and the quad link rear end is super stiff and efficient. The AT will be put to the test next weekend at Kicking Horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment